Thursday, August 14, 2008

Lets catch up !

Wednesday was the first day that I had to do anything I wanted and not worry about my training schedule. It was time to spend with my parents and husband ! My parents and Jason arrived at the Olympic Village around 10:30 and stayed til almost 2:00. We spent time in the Olympic Village Learning Center learning how to speak Chinese and write our Chinese name with special ink and brushes. My mom was hilarious trying to speak Chinese. She would say everything exactly how it was spelled. However though they look one way they are pronounced another way and have different sounds. She was so funny, everyone was laughing at her but she gets an A for effort ! We had lunch and walked around the Village. I showed them the amazing gardens, the game room, dining hall and "International Zone." The International Zone has several gift shops, a tea house, florist, post office, as well as a bank. From the village we hired a taxi to drive us to the Great Wall. It was easier and cheaper to do it this way than to go no a day bus tour. It cost us $45 (American) to drive there and another $45 back. Then cost of admission of around $14 (American). We drove about an hour all through the country side of China to reach the section of the Great Wall that was open to the public. We arrived and were swarmed by vendors trying to see us anything of everything. They would start off at 400 yuan ($57.00) and you could haggle with them down to 70 yuan ($10.00) Mom and I did this a few times. We both bought silk robes and silk table runners for our dining room tables. The people were a bit over whelming trying to see us stuff, they would not leave you alone and would just follow you saying "Friend friend, I give you good deal !" My husband was even able to get a vendor down on 2 beers ! We rode to the top of the mountain by an enclosed tram to reach the Great Wall. It was amazing...no worlds can express how incredible this man name structure is. Its so big you can't even fathom....we saw just a small section yet it is 4,000 miles long ! It was very hot, we drank a ton of water to stay as hydrated as we could. I don't know why but I wore flip flops that day....not such a great idea to wear when walking on the Great Wall ! We spent about 2 hours there and headed back to the city of Beijing to have dinner at the Bank of America House and then were in bed by 9:30 !

25 comments:

Fanny said...

Hi.. i was googling around and found your blog att blogspots most interesting blogs right now. Must say that im much more then impressed with what you're doing. its amazing how strong a human body can be. I was supposed to be their in beijing to support my friends and husband in the swimming national team, but my husband determined to stay home for his damaged back. unfortunatly.

wish you all best... your so cooool!

mvh fanny juliusson, sweden

浮生若茶 said...

Welcome to Beijing.
GO,Go,Go!
You will perform best,Good luck.
:)

Michael said...

Have fun in Beijing!!!
LOL~

Weeble Girl said...

I linked to your blog from Google when I signed in to work on my blog post today. Love your stories and pics, makes me feel closer to the Olympics in a weird, back in central NY state kinda way.

Congrats on making the team and competing. I bet that was the most awesome experience. I've really enjoyed the pics and your explanations of what it's like their in China and what your schedule has been like.

Right now, I am thinking you are the "bomb" so how cool are you?

Signed,
A humbled and overweight teacher who blogs

Anonymous said...

Nice blog.. check out http://www.vimeo.com/weightlifting I have HD footage of you in the awards ceremony at the Arnold. your clean and jerk is there too in HD. You can view it on the web in HD.

Jim - webmaster Columbus Weightlifting
http://www.columbusweightlifting.org

Journey_of_Life said...

interesting blogg!!

http://www.TheBusinessOfMyBusiness.blogspot.com

have fun in bejing

Elisha Cho said...

Olympics should be on every year!

Just Me said...

I really enjoyed reading your blog...what a great memory you'll have of spending this amazing experience with your family...your pics were great, especially the one "don't look down" on the tram, the expression on your face is "this is supposed to be fun, but I'm freaking out"...kudos to you, America has much to be proud of!

Open Directory said...

i'm chinese,welcome to beijing.

wish you.

open open directory

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to say thank you for representing our country and showing the world what a great country we actually are. My heart fills with so much pride only once every two years and thats when the olympics take place. You and all the other athletes should be sooo proud to be where you are and know that we are all proud of you back home in the USA!!!! Good luck and we are proud of you no matter where you place because you are still a winner no matter what!!! Thanx Again!

Sarita Leone said...

What a great blog! Thanks so much for sharing your Olympic experiences!

Have fun. :)

Anonymous said...

Best of Luck in Beijing and enjoy it as well!

ofifteen
'designing your life'
www.ofifteen.com

david santos said...

Great!!!
Have a nice weekend.

Rachel Cheung said...

As a volunteer in Beijing, I saw a lot of competions. I admire the athletes for their grim courage. And I felt that they enjoy their competions, which is the main reason that they can get a satisfied reasult in their programm. Maybe for some people, instead of the reasult,enjoying the process is the most important

alcon said...

This is a great blog!!
Good luck to you in your competitions.

Anonymous said...

We have whenever to take off a little of time for the family.
Kiss

oldguy85308 said...

Thank you for the great insight into China! Nice pictures also. Have a good time there. Awesome! Oldguy

Anonymous said...

The feits of human strength: Pure power. Congratulations, continue far, and control your strength!

(http://www.centsports.com/?opcode=210146)

petra michelle; Whose role is it anyway? said...

Congratulations to you! You and all the Olympians have made this a wonderful Olympics for the rest of us non-Olympians to be forever memorable!

Karma said...

Best wishes and good luck with everything! Congrats on making the Blogs of Note! :D

eeellliiie.

Mr. Nissan said...

wow those are some colorful fish

Ghazal said...

I love your work. Enjoy Beijing.

Rural Reporter said...

Hi, your blog truely deserves to be one of the best. You have so vividly described even some less significant things, i wonder if you are also professional writer...lol. Anyway, it seems that you enjoying your stay there. Good luck and wish you all the success.

Nancy said...

congratulation......


thank you for let me know you experience.....


my english no is very well, but is my heart what talking

Bombchell said...

wow sounds like fun. lol the haggling reminds me of back home.