Sunday, August 24, 2008

Congratulations to all of the drug-free Beijing Olympians !

I have had several comments left regarding my opinion on drug testing at the Olympics, so I thought this would be an appropriate time to address my feelings.
Despite all the articles I have read on the Internet about drug usage at the Olympic Games they all seem to contradict each other. Some articles say that the cheaters have all been weeded out, others say that they are still there. I am optimistic about the playing field becoming more even, you may call me naive if you want.
At the 2000 Olympics there were 12 positive drug tests, at the 2004 Olympics there were 26. As of right now there are only 6 out of the estimated 4,600 tests done ! To my understanding the top 5 finishers of every sport, plus two random were tested, also there were 2652 tests done 2 weeks prior to the Olympics starting. Doping samples taken at the Olympic Games will be contained for 8 years to recheck as testing advances over the next couple of years, the cheaters can still be identified.
I am sure that there are still some cheaters out there, but they will be caught. Drug testing is advancing and will only continue to advance. By London I think most of the cheaters will be weeded out by having stricker policies and violoations.
For more information on doping check out these links:
The United States Anti-Doping Agency
The World Anti-Doping Agency

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Carissa. You're gold in my eyes.
Coach Pol

Maralene said...

I agree with your perspective. As time goes by and testing becomes even more advanced; surely it will discourage the usage of enhancement drugs. What I do have some concern about is those who are taking regulated Rx's for real health issues that sometimes contain elements they are unaware of and the drug testing picks up...some allowance for Rx's that are needed due to a real malady does need to be addressed. Maralene

. said...

Great! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

You write very well.