Tuesday, July 29, 2008

A light and easy relaxing day !

I wanted to post the photo above on my blog a long time ago but I had to do some photo shopping on it since I scanned it in.....the photo is of myself and my 2008 Olympic team mate Melanie Roach. At 14, the time this photo was taken, I never in a million years would have thought that we would be on the Olympic Team together....if I post how old Melanie was she would kill me because you would be able to figure out her age now :) I was at a Junior Squad camp in Colorado Springs and she was there training for the summer and I remember running out of the gym asking her for a photo with her ! I couldn't believe that she could Clean and Jerk 113 kilos, I was star struck ! Today was a very different pace for Team USA since we have arrived. We only had 1 training session today! We traveled from the Olympic village at BNU (Beijing Normal University) for our 11am training session. I had snatches and snatch pulls...the workout took less than an hour. we ate lunch, and then we went to the sports med. training room for recovery. I had a 1 hour massage by a great massage therapist (Thank you Lauri Ann!), and then some treatment on my shoulder. I has surgery a little over two years ago on my left shoulder and every now and then it acts up, but not worries ! I am feeling 100% and ready to go.... I was awoken by thunder and lightening at 2am this morning and I stayed up for 1/2 hour watching the cities sky line light up from our enclosed patio. We woke this morning and the weather was no exaggeration at least 20 degrees cooler than it had been since we have arrived. I have talked with other friends and USOC staff who have been here for a week and they said it is the coolest it has been since they have arrived. If the weather stays like this I will be fine, but yesterday it was so hot I lost 2lbs. Living in Colorado Springs for 7 1/2 years I am used to a dry heat, but certainly no the humidity they have here. The rain seemed to clean up the sky and the air. I know Beijing has been actively making changes to help reduce the smog and air pollution and they have certainly done a great job at it. You can tell that everyone who lives here is very excited about the Olympics and wants to help. They love taking pictures and speaking with you even if their English is minimal they are still very excited to meet and talk with you.

2 comments:

Melanie Roach said...

I'm not afraid! I'm 33 and proud of it! Man were we young! It's a privelage to be on this team!

Tracy Fober said...

That is the most awesome picture of you two! I love it--Melanie Roach in baggy shorts! Thanks for posting, Carissa. Can't wait to watch you guys lift. Beeg legs! Step through!

-Tracy