Thursday, July 17, 2008

Pastor Promise Lee

Athletes are given opportunities to meet new people that they normally wouldn't cross paths with had they had not been an athlete. The man in the photo with me is Pastor Promise Lee. I actually did not meet him at the Olympic Training Center, I met him through his daughter who worked with my Mom.
I first heard about Pastor Lee from my Mom who told me he had written a book about his life. At that point I did not know what the book was about, I just thought it was neat that my friends Dad wrote a book. So I was able to get my hands on a copy of his book titled "Pardoned." To give a short summary of the book it talks about Pastor Lee's life as a young rebellious child and his transformation into a man of God. At 15 he was sentenced 12 years in the Colorado State Penitentiary for second degree murder. When he was released for prison at the age of 26 he gave up his wild ways and became a worker of Gods. He is the Senior Pastor of Relevant Word Ministries and a well known community activist in the Colorado community. A few of his MANY accomplishments include co-authoring 3 publications, winning The National Civic League's All-American City Award, and being recognized at the White House by Vice President Al Gore for his work in strengthening communities.
I had lunch yesterday with Pastor Lee and his teenage son Josiah. I spoke to Pastor Lee about his book and his life and asked him many questions which he all openly answered. We even talked about my fears of transitioning from being a weightlifter to a 'normal' person. I sat and thought, "How silly I am worried about not lifting weights when he was in a jail cell for 12 years locked away from society....." I realized that sometimes I stress about things that are unnecessary and that there are other things I could be putting my energy into.
I can't put into words what an amazing and truly remarkable person Pastor Lee is. He is the person that he is because of the struggles he went though, but I believe it was all in God's plan.

No comments: